Thursday, January 13, 2011

Eeeeeeeeeekkkkk!

I have my fair share of fears.

But, when it comes to 'rocking in a fetal position' phobias, we are talking about rodents.

Shudder!

Petrified does not begin to describe my feelings. I can't even look at squirrels too long without getting creeped out, but mice are the worst.

We've lived in our house for 4.5 years and have been blissfully mouse-free.

Ironically, the person we bought the house from was a retired 1st grade teacher in my district. He had grown up in the house and lived here his entire life. He was very friendly with one of the teachers at my school. I took great comfort in her telling me about how he had called her one time because there was a mouse in the house and he wanted to borrow her cat. She said he had lived here for almost 50 years and only had that one mouse encounter and was at a loss on how to deal with it.

I had been lulled into a false sense of security.

On Wednesday night, one of the twins woke up around 1 am acting like it was morning. Hubby and I took her downstairs. As we were sitting in the living room by the glow of the TV, I swear I saw something scurry along the baseboard.

Admittedly, I should be wearing glasses, but I know I saw something.

Eeeekkk!

I've been told they are more scared of me than I am of them, but I'm doubtful. Because right now I am sitting at the table with my feet all "criss-cross-applesauce" on my chair. I desperately love this 4:30-6:00 AM window when the house is silent and I am the only one awake.

But instead of embracing the silence as I have for the past 4.5 years, I am analyzing every creak and squeak of the house and debating going back upstairs. For reals people. If I am contemplating giving up the solitude and trekking upstairs instead of blog-hopping and coffee-sipping then you know this is serious.

And I'm pretty sure that the alleged mouse is not sitting around with his feet up on a chair denying himself a caffeine fix because he is afraid to go into the kitchen.

So for those reasons, I do not believe that he is more scared of me than I am of him.

I do think all blog posts should have pictures though.

And you can bet your sweet bippy that I am not about to google "mouse photo" to get some random image that is appropriate for this post.

So I will leave you with a few pictures from Thursday...AKA Snow Day Round 2! Included are a few culinary ideas you could do with your class.

I sent my child out into the wild to hunt for our dinner. Well, actually it's just the backyard and he was simply instructed to fill a bowl with snow.

So that we could make "Snow Ice Cream." Mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup cream, and a tablespoon of vanilla. Then add in 4 cups of snow (white, not yellow) one at a time and mix. It was like a vanilla shake and really yummy.


And then I made these super-cute little banana snowmen for an afternoon snack. I used rainbow sprinkles for the nose.
Stay warm and enjoy your 3 day weekend.



2 comments:

Heather said...

This (your rodent fears!) post is very timely! I fell asleep during last Monday's Hoarder's, but watched it last night at, like 3am. One of the stories involved a man whose house was overrun by his pet rats. Over 2000 of them. It was actually very sad, as you could tell he cared quite deeply for the rats (clearly, he had other issues). So, I then proceeded to have nightmares about rats. Like super-huge rats. Yuck.

Michele said...

Honey, you do know that mice can climb stairs, don't you? LOL I like the mouse-borrowing idea!